Antique Sheet Music Flourishes

Monday, 21 April 2014

EASTER BREAK DECORATING

I finally got round to transforming the feature wall in my lounge with some wallpaper purchasedlast year.  I just needed that nice long Easter break to muster my enthusiasm to tackle the pattern matching.  The first day consisted of removing the length of dado rail from what should have been the chimney breast wall.  The holes were filled and sanded down then the wall was covered with lining paper.  Day two was marking where to begin wallpapering, I worked outward from the centre of the wall.  The pattern matching was not as daunting as I expected and after a few hours work the job was completed.  Now all that remains is to spray the mirror black and purchase some nice traditional black picture frames and some dainty prints to cover the huge expanse of wall.  I may even look for a nice fire surround that requires refurbishing in order to frame the lovely French stove making it more of a focal point to the room.  This has now inspired me to line the remaining walls before painting them in some new colours  to pull the scheme together.

The walls were in a pretty bad
state and required lining
prior to adding the patterned
paper
Adding the final piece of lining
paper.  Goodbye pink paint


The new Art Nouveau paper
gives the room a lift
A black mirror and accessories
with make more of a focal point

I am very pleased with the finished effect and now need to work my magic with some black spray paint to bring the scheme together.

NEW ITEMS FOR TRANSFORMING

I have managed to source another couple of items ready to transform but I may need a trip to Wentworth to stock up on Autentico paint first.  I also need to source some new upholstery fabric.The telephone table will be my biggest challenge yet as I have not done much upholstery.  Watch this space folks for the future transformations.

One cute telephone table that requires
some chalk paint and some new upholstery
One small wardrobe that will
be transformed with chalk
paint and stencils to become
kitchen storage


I am so looking forward to the transformation of these two items when I decide on the colour and the paint finish.


SIDE TABLE USING CHALK PAINT FINISH

The course at Wentworth really spurred me on and I decided to decorate a side table which has been sitting in my cellar for months.  I decided to paint the table with the Autentico French Grey chalk paint and highlighted the decoration on the legs with the Regency White.  I then purchased a French Stencil from Ebay and transferred this onto the table top using the Regency White chalk paint.  When the paint was dry I finished the table once again with a clear wax to seal the paint.  I am very pleased with the finished effect and it matches nicely with  the other table painted in Farrow and Ball New White.  I think both colours complement each other well.

Table before chalk paint
This table required 3 coats of
 French GreyChalk Paint

French Stencil on table top

The finished tables together


TRANSFERRING IMGAGES TO FURNITURE

Here is the tray purchased for £2.00 along with
 a breadbin I already have

Completed breadbin
It has been a long time since I was here as I have been so busy. I recently embarked on a furniture painting course at the Emporium at Wentworth and learnt how to paint furniture with chalk paint by a company called Autentico.  My first project using this medium was a tray purchased at Hemswell Antique Centre for the small sum of £2.00.  I absolutely love the chalk paint finish and it is so easy to apply.  During the course I also learnt how to transfer images onto furniture from a photocopy and I was very impressed.  I have subsequently purchased some paint in French Grey from the Autentico range alongside some transfer glue and some clear wax.  My research on the internet found some images already in reverse ready to print so there is no stopping me now.

The finished tray

Both the breadbin and tray were painted with Autentico French Grey then washed with Regency White by Autentico and finished off with a clear wax to seal the paint.  The Paris motif was found printed in reverse on the internet.  I am very happy with the finished product and this has prompted me to search for other pieces to decorate.