Antique Sheet Music Flourishes

Friday, 18 March 2011

Bringing original floorboards back to life
Last section of blue carpet
I have lived in my Victorian property for 10 years now and I could not bear to look at the horrid lounge carpet that I inherited any longer, it had to go.  A few weeks back I proceeded to remove sections of carpet to reveal the original floorboards beneath, which appeared to be in a reasonable condition and just required some care and attention.  There were only two damaged boards which would need sections replacing and I just happen to have salvaged a few pieces from previous projects around the house.
Floorboards revealed

The floorboards just required a good clean because they had been covered with floor-covering.   I used Nitromorse and course wire wool to clean deep into the grain of the wood then followed this with hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush and the boards came up to a reasonable standard for staining.
Cleaned floorboards

Working in sections and around the furniture situated in the room I have started the process of staining the floor with a coloured varnish and stain in antique pine.   There are
still a few hours work left yet to bring the
floor to the required standard and each section
requires 3 coats of stain with 16 hours drying
time between coats.  Below is a picture of where
I am to date and it is my intention to complete 
the whole project during the course of the next
week, so watch this space for the finished product.
Staining begins

No comments:

Post a Comment