Antique Sheet Music Flourishes

Monday, 9 April 2012

Before

Completed
A little Easter Weekend Project  

It has turned out to be the usual disastrous bank holiday weather and my thoughts have once again turned to DIY.  Time to try and complete some of those unfinished projects around the house.  Out came the heat gun, the paint  remover, wire wool and scrapers.  I put a few hours aside on each day to follow the process through to completion.  Firstly I removed the top layer of paint with the heat gun, this was then followed by covering the woodwork with a layer of paint remover and rubbing it into the grain with course wire wool to remove any       excess  paint.
Work in progress
This process requires a few attempts to remove as much of the white paint as possible though there will be some traces deep in the wood grain which cannot be removed.  These should cover with the stain.  I then took some white filler and added coffee to make it brown and filled in any gaps where the filler had come out.  When this was dry I used an electric sander and sandpaper to give a smooth finish for the stain to adhere to.  The final stage was to add a coat of coloured gloss varnish in "Antique Pine" to match with the woodwork in the rest of the house.


Completed
Before













No comments:

Post a Comment